Saturday, January 10, 2009

Music

To borrow a few words from Berthold Auerbach

“Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life”

And so true it is… Music just drains everything out. Some of them are so captivating that you can immediately forget everything.

Music for me from the start of my life has always been an essential element – be it Ma humming bhajans of Anup Jhalota while I would get ready to school
Or
spending all my pocket money in pick and pack dept store buying the latest albums and then bullying my sister for her pocket money
Or
now with the guitar strings killing me out as Sunil tries to master the instrument and listen to this - I sing the verses for him (ouch!) I am surprisingly more and more inclined towards it.

I was mostly westernized on the music front then, I loved the then rock bands or the romantic songs of the new boys band but never was I keen towards Indian music. That’s a change now after living with Sunil that I have become more apt towards Indian music. My personal interest has taken a rapid drift.

I am now familiar with the Indian singers and to such an extent that I can actually recognize their voice and Sunil does his bit by constantly checking that on me lol…

I am not a trained singer but then am not bad at it either. Sunil who has learned carnatic can definitely vouch for that, he is a fabulous singer btw and very apt when it comes to music. It’s his Joy :-) if i can say that. I am forcing him to take it up more seriously now. I feel if you adore something that dearly then you shouldn’t really give up.

There is so much to say but then am sure the feeling is mutual when it comes to the topic. I’ll just leave a few favorites of mine which has defiantly left an impression on me!

A sneak peek at what’s running in my Ipod these days!

Albums

Vaaranam Ayiram – Just pure melody… I have no other words to describe the music and I don’t want to waste writing on it as I have decided to dedicate a post whole and exclusively on it.
Jodha Akbar esp.Khwaja Mere Khawaja – yet another master piece from AR Rehman, he has won the award for the year 2008. I am a huge fan of Sufi music and AR Rehman is wonderful with Sufi composition. Another one that I can think of is Haji ali and of course who can forget dama dam mast kalender.

Siliunnu oru kaadal – Just simply love it – it has it all from folk (I love Tamil Folk btw) to AR Rehman’s NewYork song, simply marvelous!

Umrao Jaan – unchained melody – if I can borrow that from Todd Duncan…. It doesn’t stop captivating even after 30 years and Asha bhosle’s created history with it… she doesn’t get better than this.

Dor – A classic movie again and wonderful music, it’s inspirational that’s all there is to it.

Rock On – what Music – am surprised that we Indians can rock :-) as I said earlier I love the western touch to music and Rock on does just that – watch out for Farhan Akhtar, an entertainer, I can’t believe that he isn’t a singer by profession. He should be.

Masoom – That’s very close to my heart, I’ve been brought up with Lakadi ki katti and Do naina aur ek khahani, Huzur is kadar, tujhse naaraz nahin zindagi. I realized that it has more meaning to it as I grew up. Ghazals are always important to me; I feel it is untainted in itself, though I am sure Sunil wouldn’t agree to this – Ghazals are one thing he isn’t familiar with.

ABBA – nothing new here, whoever has heard it can vouch for me.

Pudhiya Mugham– I can only smile when I think of this – I sang netru illada maatrum the day I got married and what perfect way to start the new life :-)

KanduKonden Kandukonden - I love the movie and the songs... There is something more to it but each time I listen to this album I really feel refreshed. AR Rehman is just too good.

Solos

Ek Chalees ki last local
Meri Kahani by Atif Aslam
Apadi Podi from the movie Gilli
Graduation song friends forever – Vitamin C
Haji Ali – Fiza
Superstar by Jamelia
Alai Payuthey from Alai Payuthe
Sneghidane again from Alai payuthe
Pachai Nirame:-) I have very fond memories connected to this one.
Hero by Mariah carey
Tumse hi from Jab we Met

Looking back at my list I can clearly see that Indian music dominates my list. I guess it is a matter of choice really.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Am familiar with most of it except for the angrezi songs!!!