Monday, January 19, 2009

Who wants to be a millionaire?

That's the entire story summed up for you in the movie slumdog millionaire. With all the golden globe awards and the entire hullabaloo being thrown up I had to get my hands on this cd, and after a lot of trying I finally got to see it last weekend. What’s my take on the movie – well here it is,

Story – mind-blowing – I just love the way in which Jamal (Dev Patel) goes around unwinding how he knew the answers to all the questions in such a gruesome yet truthful way that you just stand amazed. And all for his lady love Latika (Freida Pinto). Now I have lived in India forever and never imagined such a disturbing lifestyle the slum or rather the below poverty line people have to spend each day, it's making me think and yet the movie just flings back the harshness on your face without shame.

Actors – well I guess the success of it says it all… it has some of the finest actors like Irfan khan who is of course my fav though in a very small negligible role and Anil Kapoor who is somehow like this unconventional villain, I like that I haven't seen him in that avatar. And of course the new comers Dev and Frieda and his brother Salim (I dunno his name). Mahesh Manjrekar – there isn't anything familiar with him and I choose to ignore.

Direction – literal Perfection, no wonder it is bagging all the awards. It is beautifully done and the harshness is because the story demands and revolves around it. Danny Boyle just strikes that perfect sentimental emotional twine. I was touched at the same time moved at the sheer fact of poverty.

Music – Another AR Rehman’s creation. Dint get overexcited with the music except for Latika’s theme and Jai ho. Having said that, it is no secret that AR Rehman’s Music grows over time, you might not like it the first time you hear but definitely it parasites on you till you actually start loving it. RDB, Jaane tu ya jaane na are among the few.

There has been lot of gossip and criticism going on with regards to this particular movie but then hey it is their opinion. I hear that even AB didn’t like the movie criticized Slumdog Millionaire for portraying India as a "Third World dirty underbelly developing nation". But that’s what we really are – all the glamour has overshadowed the real truth. In fact I know a lot of people Indians moved out of here to different first world countries and when they return to homeland they haven’t one single good thing to talk about it. This is Sad – this is where we got our basics no matter how it is. The westerners never say that about their country do they?

I am not critical in saying he is wrong in doing so but sure that wasn’t the director’s motive. I totally agree the movie’s concept of celebration of human spirit.

I am not a critic but I am a movie buff and in saying so I am not unenthusiastic and unobliged to give my final verdict on the movie - It is a must watch whether you are an Indian or not and if you are an Indian you’ve got to see it for it reflects the true Indian spirit – never give up! I wish and pray that this movie bags an Oscar cos it is worth the entire hullabaloo. And it is the Brit’s gift to us!!! If I may say so…

No comments: