Monday, June 15, 2009

To the Indian in me

Call me an emotional fool but I cry each time our national anthem is played anywhere in the world, my chest just swells up with pride; I just leave everything that am doing and stand still while the Indian in me salutes the anthem and then the tears roll down… I did that yesterday during the start of India vs England match… I can so relate to the aggression shown by Bhajji when the anthem finished. Felt like I wanted to do something for my country!!!

Is that the true patriot in me or just a feeling I don’t know but I do know that I am proud and very proud that I belong to India – there can never be another place like this (if you minus all the bloody corrupt things going on in the country though). Unlike others I do not have this urge to settle down outside of the country – I know a lot of people would give anything to come to India. Sundru seconds me on this – he is a true Indian boy and will never find solace anywhere else. Though I have come across a few opportunities to go abroad, deep down I know I can never be as comfortable anywhere else as here. I still remember; on my honeymoon I missed Bangalore so much that on day two I was ready to come back and chuck all that traveling thing… I am not denying the temptation to take the opportunity to work outside but somehow I am not really bent on it.

When I hear about all the racism stuff all over the world, it makes me wonder whether it is really worth leaving the country for whatever crap the outside world is trying to offer? Don’t we have it here in India? Why should we always have this NRI tag and proudly display it around when you know the kind of treatment you get abroad. What you can do there we should try to do it here… I hear my friends who are settled abroad and keep complaining when they visit India saying that it is something else outside and corrupt here... I am disgusted!!! I feel you have no right whatsoever to say things when you don’t make an attempt to try and change your surroundings – but no, all they want in life is a NRI tag…

Its time to think about it – show these NRIs that India is no less than "their" beautiful outside world…

It is my home and nothing else can be sweeter than home, sweet home!!!

1 comment:

Rika said...

True there's no place elsewhere like India...I had to come to US coz I had no choice but I still miss my life in Bangalore. Life abroad may be cool offering lots of money n luxuries but we are still alien and we can never get a sense of belongingness. East or West, Home is the best.