Thursday, March 26, 2009

Chai ya Coffee?

A typical north Indian Marwari community girl will go with the former any day while I choose the latter. This is quite contrary to my husband (an Iyer) who is an out and out Chai person while I am a total coffee gal!!!

I am obsessed with coffee and that’s probably why I am writing a post dedicated to one of the most important components in my day-to-day life… I cannot start my day without a fresh cup of coffee, preferably filtered (south Indian style) and since I don’t know how to make it, it is often prepared by Sundru every morning. And days when he is not around then I am forced to make my own using Nescafe instant coffee (that’s the only instant powder I use – can’t stand the others).

My obsession to try the best coffees has made me wander to the ends of Bangalore just to find that perfect blend of coffee and chicory… now mind you if you are resident of Bangalore then you’ll definitely vouch for the pain of travel… well not that I drive so I have nothing to complain ;-) it’s the poor husband’s headache – not mine :-)

Coffee or filter coffee (which is most predominant in the southern part of India) uses coffee beans of Arabica, Robusta, Malabar and pea berry. There could be many more but these are the ones I know. They are sold in abundance in this part of the world under many brands like Bru, Cothas, to name a few which comes to my mind. I usually prefer locally sold bags which I frequently buy in bulk each time I visit places like Coorg, where they are abundantly produced.

My quest for good coffee has made me a frequenter to the following coffee bars in Bangalore:-
I am writing in the order of importance or favorites ranging from the most to the least…
1. Sundru’s :-) (obvious choice otherwise I will be deprived of the morning nirvana)
2. Brahmins (along with hot Idlis and the famous chutney)
3. CTR (again incomplete without benne masala dosa)
4. Adigas
5. Airlines (along with yummy Channa Bhatura)
6. Java city – Mysore coffee
7. Kalmane coffee
8. Brio
9. Barista (now owned by Lavazza)
10. Café coffee day

Missing in my list are perhaps international brands like Star Bucks or Costa ones – just to experience what the flavor is all about, that makes it crazy worldwide. It is yet to step into India.

I shall leave you’ll with a nice picture of my coffee along with some tatted creations of mine.

3 comments:

victats@gmail.com said...

I love coffee too although I have to restrict my intake. The tatted motifs are very pretty.

Vijay Ganesh. S said...

Hi ., try the following too !

a) Hotel Brindavan - MG Road / Brigade road junction; b) halli mane, malleswaran c) Perfect coffee powder from cafe day

B said...

Hi..,

Italian coffee really tastes great.. try the costa coffee its now launched in Bangalore...


http://www.financialexpress.com/news/costa-coffee-to-roast-its-beans-in-bangalore/310200/


- Balaji