Saturday, May 16, 2009

A trip down memory lane

Is what I’d call my day out with my nephew today… First time, just Sunil, me and the kiddo… The day was packed with fun, heat, crowd and badly maintained public places and children spaces. Having said that, I won’t argue on the fact that my nephew enjoyed, I think the smile on his face said it all. :)

Let’s get into the details now – Our first stop today was the Nehru Planetarium here in Bangalore. So poor and badly maintained I should say; we did manage to book our tickets for the Solar System show at 12.45. Well my nephew is around 4, so I don’t think he enjoyed this bit, though it was more like a refresher course for Sunil and me… No complains there, I was always fascinated with stars and things from my childhood days :). And as far as my nephew is concerned I think I shall come back in another 4 years from now – he’ll understand constellations and Orions by then hopefully!!!

I unfortunately can’t help but compare this with the Birla Planetarium in Hyderabad, the best one that I have visited so far… The Govt there is so willing to cooperate and have managed to maintain it so well. That’s what I can remember it. This sucks!!!

Next was a trip to the Govt Aquarium on Kasturba road – stinking & smelling and packed with local crowd though… I can definitely say that the nephew had a wonderful time and so was Sunil I think, explaining all the fishes to him. ;)… I am unfortunately the impatient types and hence have no patience with children at all… The husband is crazy about kids! Suits me :)

After a quick lunch at Subway, we ventured towards Cubbon Park for the toy train ride… First and foremost, the crowd management was very poor and I think they definitely need to do something about it... So, finally after much waiting & pushing through the crowd, we finally got onto the train… Boy was that fun or what!

We then let the kiddo play for sometime in the playground / park, which, though designed for kids, was primarily occupied by elders!!! That was that… phew… it was really one tiring day I tell you!!!

And btw, time for some gyan and insight now; how I long for some change in such public places. These are places that really need maintenance and am surprised that the Govt has ignored its duty completely and isn’t doing anything. These are the things for which we pay taxes and I would like to see that being used wisely for the well-being of the people… It’s disgusting to say that our future generation will be devoid of childhood fun if things continue the same way. We need a start somewhere...

2 comments:

A "cheery" disposition said...

Your blog is lovely! I love the layout you have.

Sapna said...

Gee... thanks so much!